These Past Couple of Months in Drones
- Malala Yousafzai meets with Obama in Oval Office and says that drones kill innocents and breed terrorist violence. This is omitted from the White House statement of the occasion.
- Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif meets with Obama and urges him to end drone strikes.
- Rafiq, Nabila and Zubair Rehman testify to the death of Momina Bibi, 67-year old woman killed in drone strike. Nabila and Zubair were injured by same attack. Only five congressmen showed up to hearing.
- Five people killed in drone strike at the end of October.
- Leader of Pakistani Taliban Hakimullah Mehsud killed in drone strike, derailing peace talks with Taliban.
- Six killed in drone strike in Hangu, Khyber Pakhtunwa.
- Thousands of Pakistanis block NATO supply route to Afghanistan. Protest instigated by Imran Khan, leader of Pakistan Tehrek-e-Insaaf (Pakistan Justice Party). Contingent protests in Karachi.
- Drone strike kills at least two in North Waziristan.
The past two months have been eventful for Pakistan in drone warfare. Pakistanis from Sharif to Malala to the Rehmans have been ignored by the US. Mehsud is killed conspicuously right after the Rehmans’ testimony of Momina Bibi’s death. Imran Khan agitates against American interference and mobilizes Pakistanis, but whether this will have any impact on drone policy or heighten awareness of the marginalized rural Pakistanis in FATA, Waziristan, and NWFP remains to be seen.